Slowly, but surely, a house becomes a home. Flowers took bloom in the spring time in the dining room, and the poor room hadn’t been touched since. Then, this summer, on a special day in August (no really.. it was my birthday) I found buried in the basement at one of my favorite antique shops (Olde Shoe Factory in Lancaster), my prospective hutch. It’s size and scale were perfect for the space, not to mention it’s studded details and open glass doors with very cool closure elements. Yay! Let’s bring it home and plan it’s next life.
There she is! I have some hopes for:
As my first refinished project, I made many phone calls to my Dad about products, methods, basically everything. He had answers to all, and very quickly this became “our” project!
We worked first to take off all the hardware and remove the doors and drawers.
Next came sanding. This lasted a while since there is SO MUCH SURFACE. Outside, inside, under, my goodness. Next time, I will wear gloves. My hands felt like sandpaper when I finished, not ideal.
We also needed to strip the existing stain from the top counter, twice. Finally, it was ready to see some paint!
I chose a Sherwin Williams color, Passive, to coordinate with my extremely dark Iron Ore wall color. It can appear white but certainly has a grey tint when in the space next to white trim. It really helps to balance the dark walls.
The top counter just got a few coats of stain to deepen the existing color. Despite our efforts, the water ring and obvious past life mishaps are here to stay. When all is said and done, that’s ok though..character!
Once the drawers went back in, and the hardware was reassembled, the hutch was complete!
Next came the open shelving that I longed for via my Pinterest boards. I found my perfect piece of reclaimed wood, again at the Olde Shoe Factory, with a white wash and just BARELY was able to fit it in the car to bring home! Once it was cut into two 26″ boards and then sliced again to cut the depth to 9″, the fun really began! (Ask Wil).
The studs for the wall they were to be put up on did not nicely line up for my shelves, like you couldn’t center the brackets on the shelf and also screw into the stud (naturally). I knew I needed something solid to hang the shelves from since they would hold glass, serving dishes, and most sacred of all, wine. Our advice givers said toggle bolts or a Molly bolt would do the trick. They go into drywall and “open up” to clamp against the back of the wall you’re hanging on. Sounds confusing as I say that, believe me, it is.
So, two giant holes later, we attempted to hang brackets in this manner. No go. There was some form of unidentified piping object (UPO) behind hole number one so we didn’t want to get pushy.
We used the leftover 3″ that we cut from the two 26″ boards when making the shelves narrower and screwed them to each board almost making a lip or backing at the back edge of the shelf. Next, we screwed that back edge piece (like 5 screws per shelf) into the stud in order to give the shelf a really honest attempt at staying right in place. The brackets also went up and may provide some additional support, but make no mistake, they are simply there for visual pleasure.
And there you have it, a functioning hutch, in a new color, with a new stain complete with open shelving above it. My serving platters and bowls, cake stands, appetizer plates, wine glasses, brand new flatware and fine china now have a home in their designated room, and I look forward to using the top counter as a buffet for an appetizer at our next gathering.